Monday, March 15, 2010

Making good work



This is a great video of Ira Glass explaining, and admitting, that it takes a lot of work to produce something good. I saw this video on youtube about three years ago. I stumbled upon it again this morning on Will Baker's website. It was very good to see a professional like Ira Glass saying this of his own experience. I've heard from other potters that it takes a good 6-7 years of serious studio time to start making really good work as well as getting some recognition for that work. When I graduated from UNC-Asheville with a BFA in Ceramics, I had a certain confidence about my work. I soon realized that I was a small fish in a friggin' huge pond. What I thought was good, wasn't really. Ira's right. Deadlines make you better. So that's what I did, made deadlines for myself. I tend to work better under pressure. The creativity starts to spill out a little faster and I tend to take more risks. So, I've been making work as a full-time studio potter for about 8 years. Lately, I'm feeling like I'm making some good work. So, let's all get in that studio and get to work.

8 comments:

John Britt said...

I can't wait to start making 'good" work.

Erika said...

Your is beyond good.

Tara said...

THANK YOU for posting this! I'm just starting out, and it's good to hear reassurance and encouragement. Time is an amazing thing.

John Britt said...

No, no. I am definitely still waiting after 25 years! Be patient!

ThatArtWeDo said...

Hmmm.... I'm two years out of my degree... Can I count from the start of that? If I can I can say I have made ceramics for 5? YAY! that means next year is it! Can't wait! ;P Or Doesn't school work count? Hmmm Again...

Linda Starr said...

A great video, I first saw it in Emily's blog, Ira says it so well.

andrea gardiner freeman said...

The push to see more and to be inspired by the pot and the surprises are what keep us going.

I should say you going.

I have been a wanna be potter for too long.. first class in 1987+ working for a potter + Penland several times+ECU BFA in ceramics and I still have not been brave enough. I am a salt and wood head but am facing electric and want to do it with vim and vigor.

Thanks for reminding us all that hard work takes a long time and once we think we have it all we are done....

I live in West Asheville and plan a trip to find inspiration soon ;o)

Adam Field said...

Thanks for posting this, I try as often as possible to look outside of the clay world for prospective and inspiration. Here's a good one I stumbled across recently:
http://www.ted.com/talks/james_cameron_before_avatar_a_curious_boy.html

Enjoy,
Adam