Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Woodfired pottery...before & after


So, we fired the Community Temple last week and unloaded Wednesday afternoon. It's been a couple years since I've woodfired any pots. I think the last time was at Shane Mickey's anagama. Anyway, it was good to see my work with a different surface decoration on it. I side-fired everything on seashells. I'm drawn to the flashing that results from that. I'm working on building up a small body of woodfired work for the Clayspace Co-op show at the Asheville Arts Council, in August. I got more pots out than just this one, but you'll have to come to Asheville August 1st to see those! By the way...August 1st will be a good night for pottery lovers. In addition to the Clayspace show, I'll be showing pots down the street at American Folk Art & Framing with potters Michael Kline and Daniel Johnston. Mark your calendar and join us!
About the image... This is a 14lb stoneware jar with a flashing slip covering it entirely. The slip is 50% helmar kaolin and 50% xx sagger ball clay. It was side-fired on three scallop seashells and once-fired to cone 9 in a woodburning kiln. If you look below at the image of the kiln, you'll see this pot in the upper right hand corner.

3 comments:

Alex Matisse said...

Kyle...I'd say that one came out pretty darn good! Thats about as good a flashing as you could for hope for....I won't be around for the show in August but I hope it goes well. Take care,
Alex

brandon phillips said...

thats a sweeeeeet pot.

Kyle Carpenter said...

brandon,thanks. i love it. i hope someone will buy it. nice load of cups by the way. really nice.