Thursday, March 25, 2010

Transporting Greenware

Ever since I moved my studio to Asheville's River Arts District, in 2007, I've been carting all of my pots back to the salt kiln at my house. This photo shows how I do that. Years ago, I built a wooden platform, so that my  dogs could ride in the the back of the car and see out the windows (pet barrier is also part of that system, not shown). I use that flat platform as a sturdy base for transport. I line the pots up, as shown, and very carefully cover them with 2-3 layers of packing blankets. This weighs the pots down, minimizing any movement. I am very aware of the route to my kiln. I avoid train tracks, pot holes, sharp turns, and rush hour. Knock on wood, but over the past 3 years, all I've lost is a small 1# teacup during transport. Remember, I once-fire, so no bisque-for-me.

3 comments:

Lori Buff said...

Great tip, I move a lot of greenware but never thought of the packing blanket idea, thanks.
You really start learning where every pot hole and bump is.

klineola said...

Amazing! I did this for 7 years. Carrying pots from Micaville to my house/kiln! Have a great firing today!
talk to ya later.

Linda Starr said...

I'll be moving all my greenware from my RV into my car next week wrapped in bubble wrap, to drive 1.5 hours to my home and then re-stack it and get ready to fire it. When I left California I drove around with a paper thin bark sculpture in my car for two weeks and it made it through to a cone 10 firing, who knew. Other times I have been super careful and something broke - good luck with the transport.