Monday, August 30, 2010

Oh no!




So, I fired the kiln on Saturday and as some found out via facebook, my bag wall fell into the firebox while I was salting. When cone seven started to bend, I threw in a pound of salt and went in side to escape the white cloud. I came back 20 minutes later. I pulled the top peep to check the cones and a 12 inch flame shot out. I had been firing in a steady oxidized atmosphere for most of the firing. To see a big reduction flame shooting out panicked me immediately. I looked into the firebox and could see my entire bagwall taking a hot dip in the molten salt build up. A couple of the bricks were close to blocking the burner ports. I used my 5 foot angle iron to try and move them, but it was not possible. So, I threw the remainder of the salt in and let it ride for about 20 minutes before turning the kiln of prematurely. So, currently the kiln door is halfway unbricked. The slips look good on some and white on others. The platter shown has some nice spotting on it. This comes from that heavy reduction at the end after oxidizing the whole way. The liner glazes that I can see look underfired and will need to be refired. Today I ordered a new skutt 1027KM. I'm hoping to have this kiln to bisque in and also refire some under fired work to cone 9. I post some more images later. I'll be chiseling the bricks out of the firebox later this week and hoping to fire again soon.

5 comments:

Hollis Engley said...

Stuff happens, eh, Kyle? You never know. That one platter sure looks good, though.

brandon phillips said...

I'd kill for that platter. hope you get enough good ones to keep you from going mad.

ang design said...

love the spots!! a gorgeous piece there's always something redeeming in a disastrous firing..

Jen Mecca said...

The issue we all face.... Sometimes happy mistakes happen. Good luck with the building the wall back! Jen

FetishGhost said...

Woof! You sound really casual as you shrugg it off. I don't think I could have pulled that one off so smoothly.